(Preparing for) Public & Community Health

Program Description

The 90 credit Associate in Arts transfer degree is designed to meet the general education requirements at Washington State four-year institutions and prepares students for a Bachelor of Science degree in Public or Community Health. Public and Community Health are excellent majors for graduate studies in Public Health, Global Health, Business, Law and Education.

Public and Community Health — What is it?

Public and Community Health is concerned with the health and wellness of local, national and global communities. Through strong public relations, community organization, public policy and health education, Public Health professionals assess, evaluate, plan and promote community health programs to aid in the prevention of illness and spread of disease.

Contact Us
Faculty and Advising

Leoned Gines
Room 2815

Judy Penn
Room 2807

Joyce Fagel
Room 2814

Monday - Thursday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Areas of Study in Public and Community Health:

Community Organization, Health Assessment, Health Promotion, Stress Management, Consumer Health, Program Planning, Human Sexuality, Drugs and Society, Infectious Disease, Epidemiology, Community and International Health.


Career Opportunities — What can I do with a Bachelor’s Degree in Public and Community Health?

Public and Community Health professionals develop the knowledge and skills to develop policies, assess risks, manage programs, conduct research, and engage in community outreach to promote public health. As such, graduates in Public and Community Health are able to work in variety of health care and community settings.

Potential employers include:

Government Agencies to include the Center for Disease Control, National Institute of Health, Department of Health and Human Services and the World Health Organization; Health Care Clinics, Hospitals, Colleges and Universities, Consulting Firms and Non-Profit Organizations. For more, please visit Career Counseling .


Transfer Possibilities — Where can I transfer?

An Associate Degree from Shoreline  makes it possible for students to transfer to public and private colleges and universities throughout the U.S. with junior standing. Shoreline also has agreements with several universities to make transferring even easier. For transfer within Washington State, we offer a special degree called the  AA-DTA . For international students, Shoreline also has  conditional admission agreements  that allow a student to be simultaneously accepted by Shoreline and a university of the student's choosing.

Length of Program: 90 Credits Completion Award: A.A. Degree