Humanities & English
M.A. Literature. Oregon State University, 2008.
B.A. Literature. University of Washington, 2006.
B.A. History. Western Washington University, 1991.
- English 101
- English 102
- English 271/272 Beginning Poetry Writing (Winter 2016)
- Humanities 111 The Ancient World
- Humanities 112 Middle Ages, Renaissance, Enlightenment, Revolution
Interests (academic & personal)
- Understanding our world's religions.
- Composition: writing that is clear, interesting, sophisticated, and supported by good reasoning and evidence.
- The Theory of Biological Evolution
- Thomas Jefferson
Short Lists of favorites
- Novelists & poets: Walt Whitman, Jack Kerouac, Kim Addonizio, Herman Melville, Jonathan Franzen, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Philip Levine, Cormac McCarthy, Emily Dickinson, Marina Tsvetaeva, Emily Brontë, Louise Gluck.
- Historians: Gordon Wood, Jon Meacham, John Keegan, Richard Beeman, Perry Miller, Toby Wilkinson.
- Religious scholars: Elaine Pagels, Karen Armstrong, Stephen Prothero, Richard E. Friedman (Who Wrote the Bible?), Dennis MacDonald (The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark).
- Philosophers: René Descartes, Albert Camus, the author of The Book of Ecclesiastes,
Voltaire, Friedrich Nietzsche, Bryan Magee (Confessions of a Philosopher), Aristotle, Thomas Paine, Robert Fogelin
(Walking the Tightrope of Reason).