FAQ nursing application process
Frequently asked questions about the Nursing application process
1. When can I apply for the Nursing Program?
For Fall quarter admission: between Jan. 15 and April 3
For Winter quarter admission: between Aug. 15 and Oct. 3.
For Spring quarter admission: between Nov. 15 and Jan. 3.
2. Where can I get an application?
The application is online: link to it from the "SCC Nursing Website" button at the top of the page. Please note that the online application requires that you review what you have put into the form and then press a button that says "Submit and Print." If you do not use this print system, you will print out incomplete pages. You must print the materials and sign a form and submit it with your application fee. The printed forms also include forms to give to your employer for verification of employment and to your volunteer supervisor for verification of volunteer hours. The application online can be completed at any of the computer labs on campus or at your local library or anywhere else that you can obtain Internet access with a printer available. (Some students have reported problems when using a browser other than Internet Explorer. Please use Internet Explorer.)
3. Are there any tips for applying?
Do not wait until the final days of the application period to begin accumulating necessary application material.
- No applications will be accepted after 4:30 pm (local time) on the day of the deadline. If the usual deadline is on a weekend or holiday, applications will be accepted on the next business day.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed. Once a signed application is submitted to the office, it cannot be altered.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to read all application information completely and thoroughly, including changes and announcements.
- It is also the sole responsibility of the applicant to verify completeness of the application and receipt of all required documentation before the application deadline.
- All applicants are notified of results approximately 4-6 weeks after the application deadline.
- After applicants are notified of acceptance, they must respond by the deadline given or their place in the class will be given to the next eligible applicant.
- Be sure to keep the Health Occupations Office informed of any changes in address, telephone, or email. Call 206-546-4743.
- We encourage applicants to submit all materials as one packet.
A CHECKLIST OF MATERIALS NEEDED FOR YOUR APPLICATION CAN BE FOUND ONLINE WITH THE APPLICATION
4. How do I obtain Pre-Nursing Advising?
There are five options:
- Monthly Nursing information meetings:
Admission requirements and processes will be reviewed. Please plan to attend one of these meetings before asking for individual advisement appointments. This makes the process work more effectively. Please read the Nursing Program Brochure PDF file (link above) before the meeting (requires PDF Reader 7.0 or better). The schedule for the Nursing information sessions are at the top of this page.
- New student orientation to Shoreline:
When you attend new student orientation, a faculty member from Health Occupations will be present to help you figure out your first quarter classes. If at all possible, take the COMPASS math and English placement tests before this date to facilitate your course placement. Please read the Nursing Program Brochure PDF (link above) file (Requires PDF Reader 7.0 or better)before the Orientation.
- Individual Nursing faculty advisers for Shoreline students:
Each Shoreline student is assigned a nursing faculty member to provide advisement. Call your assigned adviser for an appointment during the regular academic year or come in during posted faculty office hours. Nursing Faculty are not on campus during the summer. Remember that your nursing faculty adviser may be at a hospital or other care setting with students for two or three days each week. Please read the Nursing Program brochure PDF (link above) file before your appointment (Requires PDF Reader 7.0 or better). Nursing faculty are available for the current quarter for advising on a first come first served basis. All nursing faculty have offices in the 2300 building, and a directory of office locations is by the front door along with a schedule showing which faculty member is available Monday through Wednesday.
- Shoreline Advising & Counseling Center:
Advisors can see pre-nursing students. For an appointment, please call the Advising Center desk at 206-546-4559. Please read the Nursing Program brochure PDF file (link above) before your appointment (requires PDF Reader 7.0 or better).
- Open Pre-Nursing advising for the next quarter's registration:
Come to open advising by Nursing faculty during continuing student registration during the last few weeks of each quarter. The schedule with the assigned adviser will be posted at our front desk. No appointment needed. First come, first seen. Please come for advising one day before your registration appointment. Times will be posted here each quarter.
PLEASE NOTE: Starting with the Winter 2017 application (that is opening on August 15th) the cost to apply to the Nursing program has gone from $15.00 to $20.00.